1st 15 days – Simple guide to Baby Care
Baby care for 1st 15 days: There is no doubt that after birth, a child feels more comfortable with his mother because of spending nine months in her tummy.
The baby is also familiar with the mother’s heartbeat. Right after birth, the baby will be fed and cuddled by a mother.
Mother should be prepared for this first and very important meeting with her child.
How to bring confidence to mother that she receives this new family member with confidence and joy. We hope our article will help you with the basics needed for baby care for 1st 15 days.
Here are a few guidelines
(For parents to baby care for 1st 15 days after the birth of a child)
Baby care for 1st 15 days of a child are very crucial. First time mothers usually have no experience of taking care of a small baby and they get upset and all the joy turns into depression.
There are few useful things which every mother should know for caring for a small child.
How to properly hold a new-born baby?
Baby care for 1st 15 days. Starts with first holding your baby.
First and very important thing is not to fear touching a baby because a mother’s touch is very important for the growth and development of a baby.
It is also essential to get used to it and of course confidence comes with experience.
How to Hold a baby…
- Step 1: Babies are not as fragile as they look. So be calm and confident if you like to pick.
- Step 2: Secure loose cloth on yourself like scarf or Stoll before picking up.
- Step 3: Hold baby head and neck in one hand. Wrap your other hand supporting baby bum.
- Step 4: Be seated or stand firmly before receiving the baby. Hold baby firmly before lifting.
- Step 5: Bring baby to your chest so they can rest their head against your chest
- Step 6: When you switch hands. Remember to always support baby head.
Things to do when you hold your baby:
When your baby is in your arms, try to talk to the baby and smile at him. Your movements should be gentle and measured.
Although new-born babies are still very poorly seeing and hearing, they feel the mood of their mother very well.
Show your love for your baby through touch, and it is quite possible that the baby will give you his smile already in the hospital.
Try to take your baby more calmly and gently, talk affectionately with him, call him by his name, smile with him more often.
When you pick up the baby, be sure to support his head, since the muscles of the new-born’s neck are not yet developed, the baby does not hold the head.
Place one hand under the baby’s neck (the head should be at the bend of your elbow) and the other under the buttocks. Use your free hand to support the baby’s back and buttocks.
Remember when you are holding a baby, keep on changing his sides (change left and right hands). Baby care for 1st 15 days has lot of learning of new skills. Do not worry you will catch on soon.
You might be interested in our article Benefits of singing to your baby
How to place your new-born in a cot correctly?
This is very important for a new parent. It is because baby sleeps a very light. And when you do not know how to place a baby onto the bed you might land up waking the baby up.
So, placing baby in bed without waking them up itself is a skill that you need to learn quickly to give you some needed rest. And that is why we have listed it as one of the baby cares for 1st 15 days points.
In general, … If you need to put the new-born back in the cot, then press him closer to you and with him go down to the cot as low as possible. Place the baby carefully in the cot, but do not rush to remove your hands.
Wait for it to get used to the hard surface for at least five seconds. Then slowly remove your hands and quickly cover the baby with a blanket to keep him warm.
Few steps to follow…
- You also lay on the bed with your baby in your arms to avoid obvious vertical drop.
- You can draw a Z word in the air as you lower your baby a little bit until “safe landing”.
- Rest the baby’s buttocks first and then the head.
- After you place baby’s head do not withdraw your hands immediately.
- With one hand is still under the baby’s body, use other hand to pat your baby.
- Slowly draw out other hand and continue to pat.
Read more about this in our article How much do you know about baby sleep patterns?
Baby skin and mucous membrane care
In the maternity hospital, a nurse takes care of the new-born’s skin. Processing is carried out in the presence of the mother, so that it is easier for her to do it at home.
The skin of a new-born is tender, easily vulnerable, and its protective properties are not yet mature enough.
Therefore, a child, especially baby care for 1st 15 days, needs proper care and cleanliness in everything that surrounds him.
Every morning, the baby is given a morning toilet – washing, taking care of the eyes, nose, ears, natural folds.
Babies normal morning grooming routine look like this…
- It is best done before the second feed, at 8-9 am.
- Morning procedures are usually carried out on a changing table with a clean diaper.
- With a sterile cotton swab dipped in warm water (36-37 ° C – this water temperature corresponds to body temperature, this is what you need to check by opening the water in the tap),
- Wipe the child’s face and hands, then dry them with clean gauze (or disposable paper) soft napkin.
- The eyes are washed from the outer corner to the inner corner with a separate swab for each eye.
- The auricles are wiped with cotton balls. Never use cotton swabs, as you can accidentally damage the eardrum (new-borns have a wide and short ear canal, and the eardrum is close enough).
- The nasal passages are cleaned with cotton filaments twisted from cotton wool (filaments thickness 3-5 mm in diameter, length 3-5 cm), each half of the nose is cleaned with a separate filament. If there are dry crusts in the nose, the filament is moistened with sterile or special baby oil.
- The child’s morning toilet ends with washing and lubricating the folds with a special baby cream or powder.
Umbilical cord and wound care
Baby care for 1st 15 days takes this into consideration. The umbilical cord stump usually takes one to 3 weeks to fallout stop and it tends to fall out on its own and not much of effort or any effort is needed from our side.
All we need to ensure is that. Before it falls out naturally that you keep the area neat and clean.
Ensure that the umbilical cord is not strapped or bandaged. Let it be left loose and let it to be air dried.
If there is a wound or an infection. Then treat the umbilical wound after bathing. So, it helps in the healing process.
Treat the umbilical wound with a cotton swab or as per instructions of a doctor.
Giving baby a bath
Baby care for 1st 15 days is not complete without knowing how to give baby a bath. The child needs to be washed after regularly.
Previously, it was believed that girls and boys should be washed in different ways (a girl – strictly from front to back).
However, doctors have now concluded that to reduce the risk of infection of the genitals, boys should also be washed in the same way.
Giving New-born Baby a Bath – Things to Know
Give only Sponge Bath till Umbilical stump falls off
Need not Bathe you baby every day for first few weeks
Pat dry face and Neck with burp cloth.
Clean diaper area well with very soft cotton cloth. And put on clean diapers.
Try not to bathe a new-born more than few times a week. It can be harmful for baby skin.
Bath is a simple everyday activity that you can enjoy with your baby. Know more about these small pure pleasures in life. Read our article 12 Everyday activities that WILL impact baby’s development.
Giving new-born a tap bath.
This is usually done in countries like ours (India). Where the climate is much warm.
So, it is recommended to wash all babies with running water from the tap at the required water temperature (37 ° C) adjusted in it from front to back.
- When washing away, the mother holds the baby with her tummy up on the forearm of her left hand (the baby’s head is in the area of the mother’s elbow, and the hip is held with her hand), and washes him away with her right hand.
- In this case, the water from the tap first flows into the mother’s hand, which makes it possible to prevent excessively hot or cold water from getting on the baby’s skin.
- It is recommended to use baby soap no more than 1-2 times a day, with more frequent use it washes away the protective grease, dries the skin and disrupts its functions.
- Due to intense cold weather or due to any other reason if it is not possible to wash your baby, you can use baby wipes.
- After washing, gently (with blotting movements) dry the genital area with a clean diaper and lubricate it with baby cream or use baby powder.
- Do not forget about the air drying: let the child lie undressed for 1-2 minutes so that the skin can “breathe”, then you can put on a disposable diaper on the baby.
For towel bath or people in cold countries… you can follow the below method…
How to prepare to give new-born a bath
Step 1 Gather and place all supplies needed (Wash cloth, basin of water, Towels, Diapers etc)
Step 2 Keep room warm. Place towel or changing pad on a flat, firm surface.
Step 3 Undress baby. Wrap baby in a towel
Step 4 Place the baby on their back on the warn surface
Step 5 Always have one hand holding the Baby. Work with the other hand.
How to give your new-born a bath
- Step 1 Expose only the area that you are washing. So that baby stays warm.
- Step 2 Start with Face, Neck, and work your way down.
- Step 3 Dab face with warm wet cloth and gently wise down. Do not use soap.
- Step 4 Clean eyes with cotton balls (inside out). Do not miss out on the ears.
- Step 5 Use plain water to wash rest of the body
- Step 6 Quickly Pat Dry and Swaddle the baby.
How to change a diaper?
Your child needs to change disposable diapers as they get dirty, but at least every 4 hours, as well as before going to bed, walking and after stool.
The diaper should be of the correct size, preferably breathable.
Learn this soon since in baby care for 1st 15 days. This is from day one.
Technique for changing a disposable diaper:
A diaper needs to be changed every time it is soiled with potty. And once in 2-3 hours if it is wet.
Steps to follow while changing a baby diaper…
Tip: To make diaper change easy and simple… make sure that you have all the required items near you and ready before you start the diaper change process.
- Unwrap the baby lying on the back, unbutton and unfold the used diaper.
- Remove it by carefully lifting the baby by the legs with one hand and removing the diaper with the other.
- Wash the child in running tap water or using a towel (method described above) and lubricate with cream
- Take a clean diaper and spread it out.
- Lift your baby slightly by the legs and place a diaper under his bum.
- The coloured strip with a pattern should be in the front, the part with Velcro – in the back.
- The top edge of the back of the diaper should be on the back around the baby’s waist.
- Pull the front of the diaper and place it on the baby’s tummy.
- Fasten the diaper after straightening the cuffs.
- Check how tightly it fits to the body (your finger should fit between the belt and the child’s body, otherwise the blood supply is disrupted).
- Since the umbilical wound has not yet healed, the diaper belt should be bent outward to allow air circulation.
Pro tip: If you are changing the diaper of a boy baby. Them place a small towel on his penis to avoid a rush of hot urine on your face.
You need to starting being a bit more cautious when your bay starts to roll-over. To know more about this stage and challenges of this stage. Read our article SAFETY WATCH OUT!! ~ WHEN baby start ROLLING- OVER
How to swaddle a new-born.
At the maternity hospital, the nurse will show you how to swaddle your new-born correctly.
For you to succeed, practice first at home on the doll, just keep in mind that the baby will not lie just as calmly.
Therefore, try to learn how to swaddle more quickly, otherwise the baby will have time to get rid of the diaper.
Currently, it is recommended to swaddle freely, in which the child can move the legs and take a comfortable position for him.
It is not necessary to wear a hat for new-borns (at home, wear it only after bathing, if the temperature in the room is below 22 ° C).
Swaddling helps the baby to sleep and rest better. Because it mimics the feeling of being in the womb.
waddling is one way to reduce baby anxiety and help baby to stop crying. Our articles How-To deal with anxiety in Babies & Toddlers and Why is my Baby Crying? Tips to calm your crying Baby can give you more detailed insights.
Pro Tip: Once baby starts to roll over. It is best to avoid swaddling and just covering the baby with a blanket like how adults do.
We sincerely hope that these baby care for 1st 15 days tips for caring for a child in a maternity hospital and at home during the first fifteen days after birth will help every mother and make her feel more confident in caring for her baby.
New-born babies sleep for almost 16 hours… They are born tiny, wet and with odd-shaped head. They are born with love for you and the more you touch, talk, and sing to your baby the attached you start to get with the baby and vice versa.
This is a journey like no other in this world. And with strong bonds you will enjoy a companion for the rest of your life…
If you like our article… Show love by sharing it with friends and loved ones…
Do let us know if we have missed out on any items related to baby care for 1st 15 days? Leave your answers in the comments below…